Sunday, November 7, 2010

CURIOUS

I tried writing on this same topic a while back, rather unfortunate, but I lost my internet connection. So I am here again, trying to write on this same topic again.

Curiosity is defined by the Concise Oxford Dictionary (10 ed.) as a strong desire to know or learn something.
Whenever I think about curiosity, only one cliche jumps to mind, "Curiosity killed the cat" I have a thing for cliches, yes, I do. Let's get back to the argument, curiosity killed...
If this were true, then I am of the view that there is no need to search for the unknown. Nonetheless, I must admit that the thought of the unknown sends thrills through my spine.
If life was about the known, then I don't get the point in living; because nothing about the known is exciting anymore. When Humphry Davy first invented the lightbulb, it was the 'wow' thing of the century, even after Thomas Edison improved on it. Now nobody really cares about light-bulb anymore.
When Newton proposed his gravitational theory it was the 'it' theory in the world of science; most of us don't care about gravitation let alone how to calculate it anymore.

Life is about being curious. If this assertion is also true, then as citizens, we have the right to know what those who have charge over us, either by appointment or election, decide for us in relation to consumer satisfaction and organizational profit in general welfare to the government or the economy we find ourselves in.

Another school of thought will suggest that if the general citizenry knows about every little detail with regards to deals that our 'superiors' have agreed on in our stead, there will be chaos in the country. I beg to differ. Chaos will arise in such situations where the people discover the hidden selfish interests of these leaders. We hide things not because we are afraid people can't handle the truth; it's rather because we don't want them to realize how selfish we are and how this translates into the deals we sign behind closed doors.

Where lies the paradox in this situation? Human Beings according to our nature like to find things out; some 'smart' people on the other hand like to make some of these discoveries exclusive. Some like to know, others are afraid to know, but there is always the strong desire to know. That is where the paradox lies!

No comments:

Post a Comment